Modifying Child Support And Spousal Maintenance Payments

Although a final divorce decree may seem like the end of the road, it is impossible to predict what your finances will be like five or 10 years down the road. Fortunately, that is why the "final" decree may be modified when circumstances warrant.

Pursuing a modification of child support or spousal maintenance payments is not an easy task, however. You will need an experienced attorney in your corner. At The Law Office of Castrovinci & Mady, we put our more than 40 years of combined legal experience to work for clients to help them evaluate their options and determine the best way to proceed. As trial lawyers known in Suffolk County and across Long Island, that includes going to court if necessary to protect your interests.

What Are Possible Grounds For A Modification?

Much like modifying child custody arrangements, courts will require a substantial change in circumstances to consider granting a modification of child support or spousal maintenance obligations. Some of those financial changes may include you or your ex:

  • Receiving a substantial raise at work
  • Losing a job or having a reduction in pay
  • Coming into a sizable inheritance
  • Getting remarried

Additionally, if your child's needs change, such as he or she is going to a new school or suffers from a medical condition that requires additional care, you could seek a modification of child support obligations.

These matters can often turn bitter because no one wants to receive less money. As proven trial lawyers, we know how to achieve positive results. Many times that will never involve a courtroom, but we will be ready when necessary.

Schedule A Free Consultation At The Law Office Of Castrovinci & Mady Today

If you have questions about your rights and options for pursuing or contesting a modification, please contact us today by calling our office in Smithtown, New York, at 631-352-2898. To ensure you receive the best guidance, your consultation will be with one of our partners.